UDOIT – or the Universal Design Online Content Inspection Tool – (pronounced, “You Do It”) is an automated accessibility auditing tool for Canvas courses. It was developed by the Center for Distributed Learning at the University of Central Florida. UDOIT is available in all Canvas courses to scan course content, flag accessibility issues, and provide information on how to fix the issues. UDOIT scans for common accessibility issues including:
- Use of headings in page structure
- Alternative text for images
- Table headers
- Color contrast
- Video captions
NOTE: UDOIT does NOT scan files that you upload to Canvas – for example, Word documents, PowerPoint slides, and PDF files. Automated accessibility auditing tools like UDOIT are not comprehensive. They should be used as a guide, not a certification. A UDOIT review, however, will support inclusive and equitable learning in Canvas. A UDOIT report without any issues does not always mean that a site is fully accessible. Similarly, it may identify an accessibility issue where one does not exist.
UDOIT is available in all Canvas courses. To access the UDOIT tool:
- Click the UDOIT link in the course-level navigation menu on the left-hand side of your Canvas course site. UDOIT is not visible to students when activated. If you do not see the menu item, you can activate it by navigating to Canvas Settings > Navigation > UDOIT. Clicking the stacked three dots then click “Enable” to add it to the active menu list. Click “Save”.
- On the UDOIT page, make sure the Select Content “All” checkbox is ticked.
- Click the green “Scan This Course Button” to initiate the accessibility review.
- Once the scan is complete, UDOIT shares a report that includes any issues flagged during the scan.
- To review and fix issues, click the toggle next to the section title to view issues for the section, and click the green UFIXIT button to remediate the issue. (NOTE: not all issues will be fixable via the UFIXIT interface. If you have questions, please contact us for a conversation.)
For pedagogical support for UDOIT, schedule a consultation with a DLINQ team member.