The CryptoParty movement is a “global and decentralized grass-roots movement to help everyday people learn how to improve their internet security with open source tools.”
We’ve held CryptoParties on both the Monterey and Vermont campuses, inviting Middlebury students from all academic programs to learn about how their data is being tracked through digital technologies and how they can take action to protect themselves. The gatherings include recommendations for tools and practices to get started with personal crypto, and facilitate conversations and breakout spaces that help participants:
- question their relationship to crypto through personal threat modeling
- explore the contours of digital privacy as a human right
- learn how to use privacy oriented browsing and search tools
- protect information on phones from data collection or theft and
- use social media more safely, and much more!