Big Data: Canvassing Canvas Cryptoparty, Thursday, April 15th, 2021
April 15 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm EDT
Educause: “Learning analytics (LA)…collects and analyzes the ‘digital breadcrumbs’ that students leave as they interact with various computer systems to look for correlations between those activities and learning outcomes.”
Join us to find out what “breadcrumbs” we are leaving in Canvas, and how they are being used.
DLINQ invites you to the Big Data: Canvassing Canvas Cryptoparty. Participants can choose to attend two of three 20-minute sessions related to the following topics:
- Acquire Skills: Have you ever looked at your data in Canvas? Join this session to learn how to view and manage your data.
- Realizing Community: How can our technological tools, pandemic or not, build community?
- Dream Better: What would you like to see Canvas do better and how would you like to see Canvas used better? Join this session to share ways that you think our current system can be improved upon.
In order to accommodate our global community, we’ve decided to host this cryptoparty twice:
- Tuesday April 13, from 7:00-8:30pm ET / 6:00-7:30pm CT / 5:00-6:30pm MT / 4:00-5:30pm PT / 11:00pm-12:30am UTC
Best for students based in the Asia Pacific who’d like to attend a morning of skill building, along with U.S.-based students, faculty, and staff who’d like to attend in the evening.
- Thursday, April 15, from 12:00-1:30pm ET / 11:00am-12:30pm CT / 10:00-11:30am MT / 9:00-10:30am PT / 4:00-5:30pm UTC
Best for students based in Europe who’d like to attend an evening of skill building, along with U.S.-based students, faculty, and staff who’d like to attend during regular U.S. business hours.
The cryptoparty movement is a decentralized, grassroots movement dedicated to teaching everyone in the community how to take control of their digital privacy and security. Many people find tech issues overwhelming, but a cryptoparty brings participants together to learn from one another in relaxed, informal spaces. Instead of sifting through all the information on your own, DLINQ staff and interns are excited to offer this space for Middlebury students, faculty, and staff to come together to acquire skills, build fluency, create community, and dream better.