There are many different options for video recording and editing. Options that are supported by Middlebury ITS and offered free for faculty, staff, and students at Middlebury are:
Video Recording, Including Screen Capture
- Panopto (integrates well with Canvas and allows for easy embedding of videos into Canvas pages and assignments)
There are many other video recording and editing platforms available. Below are a few popular options that have been shown to be reliable and easy to use. These options are not directly supported by Middlebury ITS.
- Easy to use
- Mac version can record and trim video or audio, including screen capture
- Note: There is a Windows version that may be found on some older PCs. It is only a player and cannot record or edit video. The Windows version is buggy and not recommended for use.
Camtasia (Mac and Windows)
- Advanced recording and editing options, including screen recording
- Not free, but offers a free trial period to test it out
- Available for Mac and Windows
- More advanced recording and editing options
- Available for Mac only
- Free for Mac users
Windows 10 Photos App (Windows)
- Basic video editor
- Replaced Windows Movie Maker, which is no longer supported but may be available on older PCs
- Free for Windows users
Handbrake is a free software for compressing and converting video files, if you are looking for a tool to make large video files smaller without greatly compromising quality.